Wednesday, July 24, 2024
12.3 C


My Account

- Advertisement -

Car crash leads to fight

Man in serious condition


It was a dangerous day on Wairarapa roads on Wednesday, with several crashes, one of which was followed by a fight which ended with a man being flown by Life Flight to Wellington Hospital.

He was listed in a serious but stable condition on Wednesday night.

A 30-year-old man has been arrested after the alleged assault on High St in Solway at 1.45pm.

He has been charged with one count of assault and will appear in Masterton District Court at a later date.

Police said the incident happened after a two-car crash at the intersection of Intermediate and High Sts.

Travel along State Highway 2 between Intermediate and Cockburn Sts was stopped for more than two hours while police examined and photographed the scene.

Detective Senior Sergeant Hayley Ryan said police were still trying to establish the nature of the altercation.

The two men were apparently not known to each other, and it was not apparent who was responsible for the crash.

That wasn’t the end of the work for emergency services, with call-outs to two further crashes late Wednesday.

A two-car crash on Sussex St just before 3.45pm had everyone involved escape uninjured.

Then a third two-car crash at the Norfolk Rd-SH2 intersection culminated in one of the cars coming to rest in the middle of the main highway, blocking traffic.

Police were called to the scene at 4.19pm and a tow truck was used to remove the car.

By 5.40pm, the road had been cleared. No injuries were reported.

The crashes caused extensive delays along SH2, particularly during rush hour as people returned home from work.

Police are appealing to members of the public who may have witnessed the High St-Intermediate St collision or the fight to get in touch with Masterton Police on 06 370 000.

Previous article
Next article

Related Articles

- Advertisement -
scattered clouds
12.3 ° C
12.7 °
12.3 °
60 %
44 %
12 °
14 °
15 °
14 °
13 °