Thursday, June 13, 2024
9.5 C


My Account

- Advertisement -

Man hospitalised after serious assault

A man was taken to hospital with serious injuries after being assaulted at Riversdale at 1.15am yesterday.

A police spokesperson said police and an ambulance attended, and one person was taken to hospital with serious injuries.

“Enquiries are ongoing to determine the circumstances of the incident.”

Riversdale Surf Lifesaving Club chair Dave Rose said a surf lifesaver had been a first responder to the scene.

“When a 111 call is made, we get a message through our responders and in this case, it was Mike Taylor.

“In this case, he was asked to attend until the ambulance arrived.”

Sergeant Gill Flower said police were unsure if the man’s injuries had been a result of a fight or an assault.

“It seemed to be a whole group of boys who had consumed too much alcohol.”

“We had to deal with the boy initially, so our primary aim was to get him to the hospital as soon as we possibly could.”

She said no arrests were made yesterday.

“We got names and addresses at the time, and we’ll follow that up.”

Flower said police had a suspect, but they were unable to do much until they had enough evidence.

She said about 50 people had been warned by police for consuming alcohol on the streets of Riversdale.

“In general, up until midnight, it was actually really good.”

She said as well as the assault on the man, police also attended to a sexual assault.

“To me, it’s a family time out at Riversdale and Castlepoint, and it would be good to adhere to that vehicle and alcohol ban.”

Flower said police didn’t have similar issues at Castlepoint.

Grace Prior
Grace Prior
Grace Prior is a senior reporter at the Wairarapa Times-Age with a keen interest in environmental issues. Grace is the paper’s health reporter and regularly covers the rural sector, weather, Greater Wellington Regional Council, and coastal stories.

Related Articles

- Advertisement -
overcast clouds
9.5 ° C
12.7 °
9.5 °
57 %
100 %
12 °
14 °
12 °
13 °
10 °