Tuesday, July 16, 2024
9.5 C


My Account

- Advertisement -

Win and loss for Wairarapa United

Flashback: Hugo Delhommelle, right, playing against Miramar Rangers. PHOTO/FILE


[email protected]


Wairarapa United 1
Lower Hutt City 4

A goal either side of halftime proved the undoing for Trust House Wairarapa United, who slumped to their first home loss of the season in the Central League.

United were first to score in the entertaining fixture, after some early pressure from Lower Hutt, which drew two brilliant saves from man of the match, goalkeeper Scott Morris, but the opening goal, from the penalty spot, came with its own dramas.

Hugo Delhommelle’s first attempt was saved by Lower Hutt goalkeeper Alex Paulsen; however, he had moved off his line, and the kick was retaken and Delhommelle made no mistake with a deft chip.

Both teams had ample chances to score, only for outstanding work by the two goalkeepers to deny them.

Lower Hutt were finally rewarded when striker George Ott found the back of the net in almost the last act of the first half.

Ott was back in the action almost immediately after the resumption, chipping Morris after United lost possession in the midfield to give Lower Hutt the lead.

The home side had their opportunities, including one from point-blank range, but the visitors put the game out of reach in the 82nd minute when Ott completed his hat-trick from the penalty spot.

Riley Bidois completed the scoring with a deflected header from a delightful cross from substitute Many Achol, for a flattering 4-1 scoreline.

United captain Daniel Allen agreed that the team will play a lot worse and win games.

“The boys played well, but patches again when a few bad passes and stuff, myself included, and that cost us a goal either side of halftime, and they took their chances when they came,” he said.

“Scotty kept us in the game, they could have gone to 2 or 3 nil and he did well, but that goal before halftime really killed us and then the second one as well. In saying that, we fought back and had three or four really good chances.

“I think we played well enough, it’s just putting those chances away, and the results will come.”


Wairarapa United 3
Petone 1

Tumu ITM Wairarapa United captain Tui Dugan was rapt with the determination of her team to come from a goal down to beat Petone and go to a share of the lead in the W-League.

The visitors shocked the home side, taking the lead in the first five minutes, which they held until the second half.

United’s equaliser came in the first couple of minutes after the break and with more than a share of good fortune, with a Petone defender heading the ball over her stranded goalkeeper into the net.

That gave United the impetus they lacked in the first half, and Sam Whyte gave them the lead four minutes later, knocking in a superb cross from fellow striker TJ Lyne-Lewis.

The score remained that way until the 81st minute when Lyne-Lewis headed a bouncing ball into the net after indecision between the goalkeeper and a defender.

United captain Tui Dugan was pleased with the result after a rocky first half.

“We weren’t gelling that well, but after we got our feel for the game, we started gelling better and we really picked it up,” she said.

“The second half, we were really comfortable, and we were quite confident. I think it’s learning how to play with each other in different positions because we’ve been changing it quite a lot just to see what works for our team.”

Central midfielder Nicole Robertson was outstanding for United, shutting down many of the promising Petone attacks.

United have the bye next weekend, with their next fixture a Kate Sheppard Cup knockout match against New Plymouth Rangers on June 5.

Related Articles

- Advertisement -
overcast clouds
9.5 ° C
13.3 °
9.5 °
97 %
100 %
11 °
15 °
13 °
12 °
15 °