Monday, July 15, 2024
10.1 C


My Account

- Advertisement -

Dalefield hold spot


Dalefield 2

Harbour City 0

Farriers Dalefield scored a crucial win in their race for a top-two finish in the Wellington Premier Women’s Championship, in a dominant performance at the Trust House Wairarapa Hockey Complex at Clareville on Saturday.

With the top two teams to meet in the championship final, with no top-four playoffs, a win was vital for second-placed Dalefield over third-place Harbour City.

A fired-up home side dominated from the outset, but much to their frustration, couldn’t get the breakthrough in the first half. Their patience paid off with two goals in the third quarter, the first to Reese Robertson with a reverse stick shot and the second to Alana Low, who scored off a cross from Felicity Reidy, sealing a valuable three points.

Player-co-coach Katherine Reisima was happy with the team’s performance and the way her players stuck to their game plan.

“In the first half, we attacked, attacked, attacked, and they only got into our circle a couple of times, but throughout the whole game, I don’t think they had any really clear shots on goal,” Reisima said.

“We defended really well, and it was a bit frustrating at times that we couldn’t get a goal, but the girls stuck to the plan and tried not to let the frustration get to them, and it paid off.”

Dalefield remain seven points behind unbeaten leaders Northern United and two points clear of third-placed Hutt United.


Dalefield 2

Harbour City 2

Farriers Dalefield player-assistant coach Benedict van Woerkom was ruing a poor start and inability to finish off chances in their 2-2 draw with Harbour City at Clareville on Saturday.

Harbour City took the lead in the first quarter from a counterattack, and it stayed that way until halftime, although Dalefield thought they might have equalised right on the break, only for the goal to be ruled out. “We literally hit the shot, the whistle went, and the ball went in the back of the net,” van Woerkom said.

Dalefield upped their effort in the third quarter, and that paid off when Ben Schwass equalised. Harbour City struck back to take the lead before Dane Lett drew the scores level again with a drag flick to Dane Lett from a penalty corner.

The home side peppered the visitors’ defence in the final period but couldn’t breakthrough for the winner, much to van Woerkom’s frustration.

“They were dangerous on the counterattack and got into our circle too many times for my liking, but we definitely had more than enough chances to win the game, and they celebrated like they’d won, and they were just hanging on.”

First-half goalkeeper Jack Wylie was Dalefield’s man of the match.

Dalefield remain tied for third with Indians in the Wellington Premier Men’s Championship.

Chris Cogdale
Chris Cogdale
Chris “Coggie” Cogdale has extensive knowledge of sport in Wairarapa having covered it for more than 30 years, including radio for 28 years. He has been the sports guru at the Wairarapa Times-Age since 2019.

Related Articles

- Advertisement -
light rain
10.1 ° C
11.6 °
10.1 °
88 %
100 %
11 °
15 °
14 °
14 °
16 °