Monday, April 22, 2024
16.2 C


My Account

- Advertisement -

Villa hit seven past Island Bay

Douglas Villa 7
Island Bay United 1

Tremaine Rimene-Albrett made an immediate impact on his return from suspension, scoring a hat-trick as Tumu Douglas Villa scored their first win in Capital division two.

The final scoreline was evidence of Douglas Villa’s dominance from the first whistle of the game at Park Sports Ground, which had been deferred from Saturday, and it was Rimene-Albrett, who shone in his 60 minutes on the field.

It only took him eight minutes to find the back of the net, knocking home a perfectly placed freekick. Island Bay equalised from the penalty spot after 15 minutes, but the parity lasted only a minute before Willy Syben scored in a scramble within the box to give the home side the advantage they never relinquished.

Rimene-Albrett added his second after 40 minutes for a 4-1 lead at the break. He appeared to have completed his hat-trick early in the second spell, only for the referee to be unsighted as to whether the ball had crossed the line or not. Rimene-Albrett made sure of it a minute later with a screamer from 30m giving the visiting goalkeeper no chance.

A goal to Simon Mazey, and a brace to Josh McMenamin, who had been a threat to the opposition defenders all game with his speed, wrapped up a commanding victory, much to the delight of coach Mark Taylor, who felt the game was a step forward after losing in the previous round to Horowhenua Coastal in a game they dominated.

“We dominated possession, but this time we took our chances, and it just took the pressure off,” Taylor said.

Taylor was impressed with the solidity of captain Chris Cox and Shea Fowler in the centre of defence and felt that Andrew Cox and Ed De Lara-Bell had the better of the midfield battle. The blowout score also allowed him to give some of the younger players good playing time late in the game.

Douglas Villa are away to Stokes Valley in their fifth-round match on Saturday.

Kapiti Coast United 1
Greytown 0

It was a tale of two penalties at Weka Park in Raumati on Tuesday as Greyfriars Motel Greytown gave it all they had to give but fell agonisingly short, losing 1-0 to Kapiti Coast United in the preliminary round of the Chatham Cup, reports Ian McDonald.

Kapiti scored from a 10th-minute penalty and survived Greytown’s attempt to equalise from the spot in the 28th minute.

Greytown had their chances only for their top two goalscorers, Josh Stevenson and Jarrod MacDonald, to miss at chances they would normally score in their sleep.

Greytown overturned Kapiti’s first-half dominance in the second stanza when they came out with all guns blazing.

Midfielder Harvey Parker had his best game so far this season, and hit the post from wide out, with Stevenson, MacDonald and second-half substitute Landon Palmer all being denied by Kapiti’s custodian.

After a disappointing long weekend, dropping their first points to Upper Hutt City, followed by the Chatham Cup defeat, Greytown will need to pick themselves up again on Saturday when Brooklyn Northern United Reserves head over the hill to play at Soldiers’ Memorial Park.

Chris Cogdale
Chris Cogdale
Chris “Coggie” Cogdale has extensive knowledge of sport in Wairarapa having covered it for more than 30 years, including radio for 28 years. He has been the sports guru at the Wairarapa Times-Age since 2019.

Related Articles

- Advertisement -
scattered clouds
16.2 ° C
17.2 °
16.2 °
55 %
39 %
16 °
17 °
19 °
16 °
16 °