Wednesday, June 26, 2024
9.5 C


My Account

- Advertisement -

Douglas Villa bounce back big time



“The perfect response” was how coach Mark Taylor viewed Tumu Douglas Villa’s dominant win over Island Bay at Trust House Memorial Park on Saturday.

Villa went into the Capital Division One game on the back of a disappointing 5–3 loss at home to the struggling Wainuiomata, and Taylor demanded a response, and he got it as his side came from a goal down to run away for a comfortable win and retain their second place in the championship.

“There was some excellent football played,” Taylor said.

“The urgency and the intensity defending and going forward was a real improvement, and that was how we’ve been wanting to play, and we put it together.”

Despite the home side’s early dominance, Island Bay took advantage of a midfield turnover and took the lead on the half-hour, but the visitors were dealt a big blow shortly afterwards when they were reduced to 10 men after a player was sent off for a second yellow card.

Josh McMenamin levelled the scores on halftime, and Villa went on to control the second half with goals to Tremaine Rimene-Albrett, McMenamin, Brodie Dick, and Simon Mazey securing the valuable three points.

“It was a really efficient performance,” said Taylor, who was reluctant to single out any individuals.

“There were a lot of guys who played well. When you score that many goals and create that many chances, it becomes a real team effort, and that’s the response we were looking for.”

Taylor was also rapt with the support from the club’s other teams. A solid band of supporters have been turning up for home games at Memorial Park, which have been scheduled for 5 pm, allowing the club’s players to turn up after their own games.

Villa have this weekend off with the next round of the Chatham Cup to be played. Their next game is away to Brooklyn Northern United on June 22.



It was a game of two halves, and goals at each end were enough for Waterside-Karori to hold off Greyfriars Motel Greytown in a fast-paced Capital Two game at Karori Park on Saturday, reports Ian McDonald.

Greytown started the match well and could easily have had two or three goals before the hosts scored an opportunistic goal in the 20th minute, but continued good play from Greytown saw them draw level when captain Jarrod MacDonald was the beneficiary of good work by Landon Palmer and slotted home just
three minutes before the break.

While Greytown held the ascendency in the first half, it was a different story in the second spell. It seemed halftime was the worst thing that could happen as Waterside changed their game plan and sat deeper to counter the front-line speed of MacDonald and the Palmer twins, Landon and Brodie. The home side held on to the ball a lot better and took just five minutes after the break to regain the lead, which they held on to and added to with an outstanding goal in injury time.

Midway through the second half, Greytown thought they had equalised when Andres Gomez put the ball in the back of the net directly from a corner, but the referee ruled the goal out for an incongruous push, something that goes on in every game.

Stand-out performers for the visitors were Gareth Gwyther in the heart of Greytown’s midfield, centre-backs Joshua Thompson and debutant Matthew Clarke-Cox, who proved difficult to get past, while Taylor Harvey in goal had another excellent game.

The loss has dropped Greytown to fourth place in the league, but still just five points off leaders Miramar Rangers.

Greytown is back home at Soldiers Memorial Park on Saturday with a visit by Seatoun to round off the first half of the season.

Chris Cogdale
Chris Cogdale
Chris “Coggie” Cogdale has extensive knowledge of sport in Wairarapa having covered it for more than 30 years, including radio for 28 years. He has been the sports guru at the Wairarapa Times-Age since 2019.

Related Articles

- Advertisement -
light rain
9.5 ° C
9.5 °
9.4 °
95 %
100 %
10 °
11 °
11 °
13 °
12 °