Saturday, May 25, 2024
6.7 C


My Account

- Advertisement -

Tough starts for college teams

Rathkeale try-scorer Jayden Webb-Milner fending off a St Peter’s defender. PHOTOS/SUPPLIED


[email protected]


It was a tough start for Wairarapa College and Rathkeale in the Wellington youth premier championship.

Waicol went down 1-4 at home to Hutt International Boys who scored twice in each half.

Caleb Anstis scored Waicol’s goal in the first half.

Rathkeale went down 2-5 to St Patrick’s Silverstream after Oskar James gave them an early lead.

But their fortunes changed when they conceded a penalty to St Pat’s that resulted in defender Joe Handiside being sent off.

Noah Boyce [green] beating the St Patrick’s Silverstream defence.
Rathkeale conceded two more penalties in the first half. They created some good opportunities in the second half, but a lack of composure in front of goal was costly.

St Pats added another two goals, while Josh Rudland scored a late consolation for Rathkeale.

Rathkeale are at home to Rongotai College on Saturday, while Waicol face a tough away trip to Scots College.


Despite being beaten 3-58 by Scots College, Waicol First XV coach Jonathan Tanner was not disappointed by the team’s first-round effort in the Wellington premier championship.

Tanner said Waicol held their own against much bigger opponents for the first 20 minutes until the size difference took its toll.

“We gave them a hell of a fright, but we used up all our energy and faded after that,” he said.

“I was happy that the boys stuck at it, and it was a real gutsy effort, and they never gave in.”

Scots College crossed for 10 tries, and Waicol’s points came from a penalty to Kortez Paku.

On Saturday, Waicol will host Rongotai College, who beat Aotea College 19-18 in their opening match.

Rathkeale wrapped up their preparations for the Central North Island championship with a 7-29 loss to St Peter’s Cambridge at home.

The Rathkeale setpiece matched St Peter’s, but poor decision-making let them down at vital times.

Winger Jayden Webb-Milner scored the home side’s only try, converted by Freddie Eschenbach.

Rathkeale will kick off their championship away to Whanganui Collegiate next Wednesday.


St Matthew’s are leading the Intercity secondary schoolgirls’ championship after two rounds. Their 8-0 thumping of Nga Tawa leaves them the only team with a perfect record.

Wairarapa College scored their first win with a hard-fought 3-2 defeat of Whanganui Collegiate. Fourth-placed Waicol will play Feilding High School tonight and St Matt’s take on Whanganui High School.

In the boys’ championship Waicol and Rathkeale are in a logjam of five teams in second equal place with one win and one loss.

Waicol were made to work hard to beat Whanganui High School 2-1, while Rathkeale lost 1-4 to the powerful Palmerston North Boys’ High School.

Signs looked promising early for Rathkeale when Michael Caldwell scored in the first 30 seconds. From then, though, PNBHS controlled the game to cruise to a comfortable victory.

Waicol met Whanganui Collegiate last night, and Rathkeale played Waiopehu College from Levin.


Wairarapa College and St Matthew’s will again compete in the Wellington regional championships.

Waicol will play in division two and come up against Tawa College in their opening match on Monday.

St Matt’s are in division three and play Taita College to kick off their campaign.

Related Articles

- Advertisement -
scattered clouds
6.7 ° C
6.7 °
5.5 °
94 %
47 %
7 °
12 °
8 °
11 °
12 °