Sunday, April 14, 2024
10.1 C


My Account

- Advertisement -

Skilled Magpies upset competition favourites

Former Wairarapa United striker Seule Soromon was worth his weight in gold with two goals in his first game for Douglas Villa Magpies. PHOTO/FILE

Greytown concedes two goals, draws


[email protected]

Naenae 2
Douglas Villa Magpies 3

Douglas Villa Magpies kicked off their Capital Division Three campaign with an upset 3-2 away win over Naenae.

Using the old sporting cliché, it was the classic game of two halves, with the Magpies scoring three first-half goals, only for Naenae to close the gap in the second stanza, ensuring a tense final quarter.

Not helping Magpies’ cause was the strong wind that picked up in the second half, while the loss of midfielder Cayden Cameron to injury changed the dynamics of the game.

Former Vanuatu international Seule Soromon proved his worth scoring two goals, with a magnificent shot from 25m which gave the goalkeeper no chance, and from the penalty spot.

Coach Malcolm Cox was rapt with the contribution of Soromon – Wairarapa United’s record goal scorer – who has moved to Douglas Villa this season.

“The thing is people thrive off him. His pace, his work rate, his all-round ability is just so good to have,” Cox said.

“He’s a skilful player, and we want to get up as high as we can and players like him are worth their weight in gold,”

Willy Syben was the Magpies other scorer in an impressive win over one of the league favourites.

“These guys had probably three or four players from Wainuiomata’s team that won promotion to the Central League last season,” Cox said.

“We punched above our weight. This team Naenae are tipped to walk through this division, and we took this game as a measuring stick where we are. We’ve got some stuff to work on, but it’s a great start to the season.”

Magpies will have their first home game of the season on Saturday against Miramar Rangers.

Greytown 2
Wellington Marist Reserves 2

Despite creating several good chances, Greytown Fresh Choice were held to a 2 -2 draw at home by Wellington Marist Reserves in their first game back in the Capital Football leagues.

After soaking up Marist pressure in the first 10 minutes, Greytown eased their way back into the game, but two pieces of sloppy defending had them concede twice in the first half.

Sandwiched in between, a Nikali Finlay goal kept the sides close at the break.

The second half had the home side play some free-flowing football, but they couldn’t turn their creativity into goals until Antony Oliver popped up in the penalty box to lob the Marist keeper to level the score.

Despite a host of late chances Greytown lacked the killer instinct to close the game out although they were clearly in control with a glut of possession.

Providing the assist for the first goal and getting through a ton of work, Andy Traill was voted man of the match.

Greytown’s next match in the Division Four championship is away to Victoria University Raiders on Saturday.

Related Articles

- Advertisement -
overcast clouds
10.1 ° C
13.3 °
10.1 °
75 %
95 %
13 °
18 °
20 °
20 °
18 °