Wednesday, April 24, 2024
11.6 C


My Account

- Advertisement -

McMenamin scores again

Josh McMenamin [on ball] was on target with a hat-trick for Douglas Villa. PHOTO/FILE


[email protected]

Douglas Villa 5
Island Bay 4

Josh McMenamin’s goal-scoring bonanza continued with a hat-trick for Douglas Villa Magpies in their 5-4 win over Island Bay United Kina at the Park Sports Ground on Saturday.

The visitors had the better of the first 15 minutes, and took an early lead, before McMenamin equalised with a stunning freekick into the top corner of the goal.

The teams traded goals for a 2-2 halftime scoreline, but the Magpies took control in the second half.

Midfielder Tremaine Rimene-Albrett was rewarded for a strong game, scoring after a one-two with former Vanuatu international Seule Soromon, who also found the back of the net.

Assistant coach Nathan Cottle was pleased with the outcome which consolidated Magpies’ second placing in Capital Division Three.

“It was a niggly game and was pretty willing. After the first 15 minutes we controlled the game, it was tit-for-tat, and we were always just one up, or two up, but could never pull away,” he said.

Magpies now have a four-point gap over Victoria Accies in third place, and on target for a top-two finish.

“We’re really hoping to push for promotion and that’s the main goal,” Cottle said, “I reckon if we win four out of the last seven, we should be right.”

Magpies have a great opportunity to strengthen their position, away to bottom-of-the-table Miramar Rangers on Saturday.

Stop Out 3
Greytown 2

Greytown Fresh Choice are adamant Saturday’s Capital Division Four game with Stop Out should have been called off with the state of the field so bad that the field’s sidelines were completely indistinguishable.

Club president and team member Tim Stevenson said it was a tough game and the conditions at Hutt Park were atrocious to start with and got worse as the first half progressed.

“It should have been called off at halftime, because there were big sections of water, and it was so muddy you couldn’t see the lines,” he said.

Greytown led 2-0 at the break, through goals to Daniel Frischknecht, and Jarrod MacDonald from the penalty spot, but Stevenson said despite that the game should not have continued.

Compounding matters for the visiting side, the game was refereed by Stop Out players, who alternated throughout the game, which Stevenson said led to two goals from clear offside positions, including one farcical situation.

“The ref in the second half lost his watch and was running around looking for it when an offside goal was scored,” he said.

Greytown are seventh in the league and will host third-placed Victoria University Raiders on Saturday.

Related Articles

- Advertisement -
few clouds
11.6 ° C
11.6 °
11.6 °
96 %
23 %
13 °
17 °
15 °
16 °
14 °