Logout

Saturday, May 25, 2024
6.7 C
Masterton

ADVERTISE WITH US

My Account

- Advertisement -

Hiccup in Hopman’s prep

Zane Hopman [right] has had his bout on Saturday canned. PHOTO/FILE

BOXING

CHRIS COGDALE
[email protected]

Masterton boxer Zane Hopman’s build-up for his tilt at a national title in his hometown in October has hit a speed bump.

Twenty-nine-year-old Hopman was to step into the ring against Tyrone Warren in Auckland on Saturday as part of his preparation for his bout against Ratu Dawai for the vacant Pro-Box New Zealand light heavyweight belt at Copthorne Hotel and Resort Solway Park.

However, Saturday’s fight has been cancelled after the introduction of covid-19 level three restrictions in Auckland.

Hopman’s only bout before the October 30 title shot is now likely to be against Harman Singh in Whanganui on September 12.

“As long as the rest of the country is in level one, the fight will be full steam ahead,” Hopman said.

“It’s a bit of a sit-and-wait. It will be all dependent on what size crowd they can have.”

Hopman previously beat Singh by unanimous points decision in March, and a rematch is vital to his build-up.

Since turning his hand to boxing after winning the 2014 heavyweight title at the International Federation of Muaythai amateur world championships, Hopman has won eight of his 11 fights, including his last seven.

Having previously fought as a cruiserweight, Hopman has moved down a weight division to light heavyweight [maximum 79.8kg].

There is better news for two Muaythai fighters trained by Hopman at his Fortitude Gym.

The experienced Gordon Pye and 14-year-old Boston Moylan will have their fights go ahead at the Night of Champions in Hamilton on August 29, although Hopman said the event will likely go ahead with a minimal crowd.

Related Articles

- Advertisement -
Trending
Masterton
scattered clouds
6.7 ° C
6.7 °
5.5 °
94 %
0.9kmh
47 %
Fri
7 °
Sat
12 °
Sun
8 °
Mon
11 °
Tue
12 °