Wednesday, April 24, 2024
11.6 C


My Account

- Advertisement -

No stopping winning streak

Douglas Villa 3
Miramar Rangers 1

Tumu Douglas Villa came from behind to beat a tough Miramar Rangers 3-1 for their third straight win in Capital Division Two.

The visitors took the lead after 25 minutes at the Park Sports Ground when the Douglas Villa defenders failed to challenge for a header, and Oscar Harrison found the back of the net.

The more the half progressed, though, and the more the home side came into the game. Their pressure paid off on the stroke of halftime when Tremaine Rimene-Albrett equalised with a powerful shot into the top of the goal from outside the box.

Douglas Villa took control of the game in the second spell with goals to Caleb Anstis after 52 minutes and to Josh McMenamin with 10 minutes left to play, sealing a valuable three points.

Coach Mark Taylor believed his side were complacent in the first half, and that was probably down to the two big wins from the previous two weeks – 7-1 over Island Bay and 10-2 over Stokes Valley.

“We managed to tighten things in the second half and be a bit more accurate, particularly in our attacking areas and put more pressure on them and created some chances,” Taylor said.

“In the past, it was the sort of game we’d lose, but we managed to turn it around, and we were more accurate, and we competed better and won tackles.”

However, Miramar were worthy opponents, with players such as Patrick Fleming, who has Central League and National League experience, making for a tricky encounter and in the end Taylor was satisfied with the spirit shown by his side.

“It was probably the most difficult game we’ve had in terms of the way they play and having to compete, but I’m pleased with the result, and it was that sort of game to bring us back down to earth a wee bit.

“In the past, it was the sort of game we’d lose, but we managed to turn it around, and we were more accurate, and we competed better and won tackles.

“We were more than capable of answering it, and it was a good response.”

Douglas Villa have a break this Saturday with no games because of the Chatham Cup. The win lifted Douglas Villa to third in the league, behind Seatoun and Marist, who they meet in their next two matches.

Stop Out Thirds 2
Greytown 4

A near waterlogged field and a local club referee nearly combined to stop the Greyfriars Motel Greytown juggernaut, reports Ian MacDonald.

Greytown went behind twice in the opening half of the Capital Division Three clash, which was played on a sodden Hutt Park pitch, but fought back to go into the break 2-2, with goals to midfield general Andy Traill and forward Gareth Gwyther, who slotted home from a free kick.

The visitors started the second half with a hiss and a roar and, within a couple of minutes, took the lead for the first time in the game after the man of the match, Traill netted his second of the match before an own goal from a corner gave Greytown the 4-2 lead which they held on to stay top of the division after six games.

Overall the wet pitch made it a scrappy game, and as coach Phil Keinzley said in his after-match comments, you’ve just got to win ugly sometimes, and that was a very apt description of the game. Both sides suffered from large puddles over much of the field and were guilty of giving away possession regularly. Max Mitchell, Bill Reynolds and Nik Finlay also had strong games at the back, and Gwyther and Landon Palmer were threatening out wide, but Keinzley made a special mention of second-half substitute Sam Traynor, making his first appearance for the club and constantly putting pressure on the Stop Out players from his midfield position.

A week off now beckons for Greytown, before a mouthwatering clash with fellow high-flyers Wellington United on May 20 at Soldiers Memorial Park.


Wairarapa United 6
Lower Hutt City 1

A four-goal haul to Vanessa Taylor spearheaded Wairarapa United’s 6-1 victory over Lower Hutt City to retain their unbeaten start to Capital Women’s Division One.

Lower Hutt applied pressure in the first half at Hullena Park, but United held strong and took a 2-1 lead into the break. However, the home side dominated the second stanza, stringing together some good passing exchanges and creating excellent goal-scoring chances.

As well as Taylor, Annie Jones and Meisha Boone found the back of the net.

United face a tricky encounter on Sunday, away to Wellington United Emeralds.

Chris Cogdale
Chris Cogdale
Chris “Coggie” Cogdale has extensive knowledge of sport in Wairarapa having covered it for more than 30 years, including radio for 28 years. He has been the sports guru at the Wairarapa Times-Age since 2019.

Related Articles

- Advertisement -
few clouds
11.6 ° C
11.6 °
11.6 °
96 %
23 %
13 °
17 °
15 °
16 °
14 °