Wednesday, April 17, 2024
11.7 C


My Account

- Advertisement -

Big losses for Wairarapa United

TJ Lyne-Lewis scored United’s only goal against Palmerston North Marist. PHOTO/FILE


[email protected]


Miramar Rangers 8
Wairarapa United 1

Trust House Wairarapa United coach Phil Keinzley is keen to quickly move on from their 1-8 thrashing at the hands of Miramar Rangers at Dave Farrington Park on Saturday.

United’s preparation leading into match wasn’t ideal with the team unable to train at Trust House Memorial Park on Thursday, because of a floodlight malfunction.

The unavailability of the experienced duo Cameron Lindsay and Paul Ifill also left a big hole in the team.

Miramar Rangers only needed two minutes to open their account when prolific goalscorer Andy Bevin was left alone at the far post and neatly beat goalkeeper Scott Morris.

United though fought back and Jared Cunniff equalised with an excellent finish after 20 minutes.

However, a four-goal burst in 10 minutes before halftime sealed the victory for the home side.

Keinzley said the team lacked experience on the field, were totally outflanked by the pace of Miramar and were naive on defence.

“The important thing now is how quickly we get back on the horse this weekend against Wainuiomata, and they nearly beat North Wellington, so we can’t take it for granted that things are going to go that well for us this weekend. It’s important that we bounce back and get our confidence back.”


Palmerston North Marist 3
Wairarapa United 1

Like the men, Tumu ITM Wairarapa United’s build-up for their top-of-the-table W-League clash away to Palmerston North Marist was impacted by the floodlight failure at Memorial Park.

Coach Paul Ifill said he hated to make excuses but there were things that he wanted to go over and couldn’t. All three Marist goals came from those scenarios, and they all happened in the first 20 minutes.

Mikaela Boxall opened the score after two minutes for Marist, followed almost immediately by the second goal to Jessie Falloon.

United narrowed the gap to one goal after 12 minutes through TJ Lyne-Lewis, but a second goal to Boxall after 19 minutes restored the two-goal advantage.

Although both teams had their chances to add to their score that proved to be the final scoring act.

Ifill said it was a frustrating start, and after that it was even, and United controlled much of the second half.

United weren’t helped with the loss of four players to injury – Molly Woodhead and Darby Lambert with hamstring strains, Shannon Newlyn with an ankle injury, and Emma Megchelse with a back strain.

That forced Ifill to play several players out of position, and he said the team showed “a hell of a lot of character.”

The loss has dropped United to second in the W-League.

Related Articles

- Advertisement -
overcast clouds
11.7 ° C
13.8 °
11.7 °
97 %
89 %
13 °
18 °
18 °
18 °
20 °