Friday, July 26, 2024
6.7 C


My Account

- Advertisement -

Log falls off truck in town

The 2m-long log came off a truck just in front of the Masterton Fire Station on Thursday afternoon. PHOTOS/SUPPLIED

[email protected]

A large log, which came loose from a logging truck travelling through Masterton, has prompted a warning to drivers about speed and load security.

The log came loose just after 5.30pm on Thursday as the truck exited the State Highway 2 roundabout north of Masterton and turned down Villa St.

Masterton Fire Station officer Kevin Smith was on the late shift when he saw a truck coming around the corner “too fast”.

Smith said he heard a “big thud” as the 2m-long log landed outside the Masterton Fire Station.

Station officer Gary Nielsen said it was “lucky there were no cars there”.

He said, “most logging trucks run safely and aren’t going too fast” but that, in this case, the driver had taken the turn “too quickly”.

“The unsecured log came off the truck and landed outside the fire station. The truck driver stopped to look, secure his load and then carried on.”

The truck was driven by a contractor for Farman Turkington Forestry.

Managing director Guy Farman said the company was thankful no one was hurt in the incident.

“We’re now in the throes of our investigation,” he said.

“We need to find out how a log could have come off the load and what actions we need to take to ensure this never happens again.”

Farman said WorkSafe had been notified about the incident and he had spoken with the truck driver, who had been shaken by the incident and was “pretty upset”.

It took the help of three firefighters and four passing men to roll the heavy log off the road on to the footpath.

One witness, who did not wish to be named, said “the load was obviously not secured”.

“The driver took the corner pretty quick. I think the log slid out from the top. It’s about safety and being more cautious on the roads,” he said.

Acting Wairarapa response manager Sergeant Ian Osland confirmed that police were called to the incident at 5.45pm on Thursday.

Osland said the driver left the scene and police caught up with him at 6.20pm. He said it was a timely reminder to drivers to ensure their vehicles were road worthy and loads were secured.

Police are investigating the incident and considering appropriate action.


Comments are closed.

Related Articles

- Advertisement -
clear sky
6.7 ° C
6.7 °
6.7 °
95 %
0 %
8 °
14 °
14 °
13 °
15 °