Logout

Monday, February 26, 2024
20.6 C
Masterton

ADVERTISE WITH US

My Account

- Advertisement -

Home engulfed in flames

House on fire along Masterton Castlepoint Rd on Saturday night. PHOTO/SUPPLIED

EMMA BROWN
[email protected]

Passersby were shocked to see smoke billowing from the roof and flames at the front door of a Masterton home on Saturday.

Emergency services were called just after 7.30pm to a house fire near the Tauweru bridge, about 20 minutes along Masterton Castlepoint Rd.

An onlooker said the fire appeared to be coming from under the eaves in the roof.

The front windows were blown out and flames could be seen from the front door.

Thick smoke blew west back on to the Tauweru settlement.

Two fire crews from both Masterton and Carterton, as well as the water tanker stationed in Carterton were called to the scene.

Masterton Fire Station duty officer Kevin Smith said the house was fully smoke logged when they arrived.

“There was a well-developed fire in one of the bedrooms and the roof space.”

It took about 20 minutes to get the fire under control and firefighters were there for about two hours.

Smith said the structural damage looked to be confined to the roof space, one bedroom, and the hallway, but the rest of the house was severely smoke and heat damaged.

It is understood the occupants had left at about 2.30pm, so no one was home at the time of the fire.

A spokesperson for Fire and Emergency did not think the fire was suspicious, but they had a specialist fire investigator carrying out inquiries on Sunday.

Related Articles

- Advertisement -
Trending
Masterton
light rain
20.6 ° C
20.6 °
19.4 °
30 %
3.5kmh
100 %
Mon
20 °
Tue
23 °
Wed
20 °
Thu
19 °
Fri
27 °