Friday, July 19, 2024
10.1 C


My Account

- Advertisement -

Hit-and-run: Police seek information

Lawziah Karaitiana was killed in a suspected hit and run last month. PHOTO/GIVEALITTLE

Wairarapa police are reiterating their plea for information on a hit-and-run near Masterton as rumours abound.

Lawziah Karaitiana was found unresponsive on Masterton-Castlepoint Rd at about 4.20am on Saturday, May 7, in a suspected hit-and-run.

Police said on Wednesday that no arrests had been made in relation to the 20-year-old’s death despite extensive inquiries.

Karaitiana’s family appeared on the police programme Ten 7 Aotearoa last week, appealing to anyone with information to come forward.

On the programme, Wairarapa Detective Sergeant Mike Smith said a resident found Karaitiana after he was struck by a vehicle.

Smith said police were keeping an open mind about the type of vehicle involved.

“What we do know is that this vehicle doesn’t appear to have stopped to check on Lawziah, and it certainly hasn’t taken the time to notify authorities and raise the alarm.”

Smith appealed to anyone driving in the area at the time to come forward with information.

“This family is really hurting. We need the assistance of the public to find out who was involved in the death of Lawziah.”

Mataikona, north of Castlepoint. PHOTO/FILE

Smith said Karaitiana and his long-term partner Jenna Mullen had been at a private social function in Mataikona the night of the incident, returning home at about 1.30am.

Mullen said Karaitiana had become upset, going for a walk to cool off.

“We waited up for him. Even my dad yelled, ‘come in, boy’.

“Nothing. Then they [the police] came in and just looked at us. We just knew.”

Detective Senior Sergeant Barry Bysouth said on Wednesday that rumours were flying in the community, but police could not help unless those with information made contact.

“We’re hearing a lot of rumours in the community, but they’re just rumours and hearsay unless people come forward.

“There is a small group of people that know exactly what happened, but they need to come to us.”

Police did not provide further details on the rumours.

Mullen said she and Karaitiana had been together for more than four years, and since living with her family, she had witnessed him grow as a person, “to be a hunter, to be a diver, to be a hard-working man”.

“When he first came out here, he was such a wuss. He was just a loving boy.”

She said the outlook was positive for the couple, and they had plans to buy a house together.

Her mother, Julia Mullen, said the family was struggling with the loss of Karaitiana.

“Whoever knows anything, just a little bit of information, please call the police.”

She said it was difficult for the family to drive past the scene of the incident every day.

“Knowing that someone has done this and is not coming forward is really, really hurting us.

“And we’re struggling to move forward.”

Karaitiana’s family had set up a Givealittle page to help pay for his funeral costs. The page, now closed, received almost $5000 in donations.

Related Articles

- Advertisement -
overcast clouds
10.1 ° C
12.2 °
10.1 °
90 %
88 %
15 °
11 °
14 °
10 °
11 °