Logout

Tuesday, July 23, 2024
8.4 C
Masterton

ADVERTISE WITH US

My Account

- Advertisement -

TV flames turn real

A Carterton resident immersed in a ‘Seven Sharp’ segment about fire safety had a moment of panic when their own smoke alarms went off.

Initially confusing the alarm with the sound effects from the TVNZ episode, which featured a controlled house fire demonstration put together by Fire and Emergency NZ [Fenz], the occupant quickly realised they had a real-life fire on their hands.

A spokesperson from Fenz confirmed that a crew from Carterton fire station responded at 7.20pm on Monday last week, and that the fire was out on arrival.

“It was extinguished by the occupants, and then the crew helped with ventilation, checking for hotspots, and giving advice.”

Carterton fire station officer Brendon Allen said an electrical failure sparked the blaze and that the occupants had managed to put it out themselves.

“Some of the contents of the room were burning, so they managed to extinguish that with water from the kitchen,” Allen said.

“They were fairly certain it was out but wanted us to come and check, which we’re only too happy to do.”

Allen said the fact that the fire happened while an occupant was watching a fire safety demonstration was a case of good timing.

“The occupants had smoke alarms in all their bedrooms,” Allen said.

“At the time they were watching the live stream, the smoke alarm in the house operated, alerting them of the fire in the bedroom.”

Allen said that for house fires, they would usually recommend a fire extinguisher be used.

“And if you’re even thinking that the fire’s too big for you, then out of the house and call 111.”

Bella Cleary
Bella Cleary
Bella Cleary is a reporter at the Wairarapa Times-Age, originally hailing from Wellington. She is interested in social issues and writes about the local arts and culture scene.

Related Articles

- Advertisement -
Trending
Masterton
overcast clouds
8.4 ° C
9.9 °
8.4 °
75 %
3.1kmh
89 %
Tue
8 °
Wed
12 °
Thu
14 °
Fri
14 °
Sat
14 °