Wednesday, May 29, 2024
9.5 C


My Account

- Advertisement -

Driver ends up in court

An incident on Sunday night in which a stolen car fled police and then crashed into another vehicle has resulted in the alleged offender facing several charges.

Police received reports of a stolen Mazda Demio on Makoura Rd in Masterton at 7.15pm on Sunday.

“The car was then sighted driving extremely fast on Te Ore Ore Rd outside Wairarapa Hospital,” Wairarapa Police area prevention manager Gill Flower told the Times-Age.

“We attempted to stop the vehicle for the speeds it was going, but we had a fleeing driver; blue and red lights were activated.”

Flower said that while the driver failed to stop, in keeping with police policy, the car was not pursued.

Police later came across the car after it had crashed into another vehicle on the corner of Church St and Colombo Rd, Flower said.

“The Mazda hit another car with two people inside and rolled over in doing so.

“As far as I know, the occupants in the other vehicle were okay – shaken up but okay.

“They were assessed at the scene by Wellington Free Ambulance.”

A Wellington Free Ambulance spokesperson confirmed that one ambulance attended the incident and treated two patients in moderate condition, and that no one needed to be transported to hospital.

After rolling the stolen car, the driver tried to run from the scene but police apprehended the 25-year-old male, who now faces several charges.

“He has been charged with failing to stop, driving in a dangerous manner, failing to stop and ascertain any injury he may have caused at a crash, and unlawfully taking that motor vehicle,” Flower said.

Crews from Masterton Fire Station also attended the crash.

“Two trucks responded from Masterton Station to the two-vehicle car crash at 9.40pm on Sunday night,” Masterton Station chief firefighter Richard King said.

“A car collided with another vehicle, rolled, and then landed back on its wheels,” King said.

“All occupants were out of the vehicles, and we assisted in cleaning up.”

The driver of the stolen car was at Masterton District Court at 2pm yesterday for his first appearance, during which he chose to enter no plea.

For the car theft, he could receive a maximum prison sentence of seven years.

For speeding and failing to stop for red and blue lights, he could receive a maximum penalty of $10,000.

The charge for driving the vehicle dangerously could land him a maximum of three years imprisonment and a $4500 fine.

The final charge for failing to check if others were injured in the crash could earn him up to three months in prison and a fine of $4500.

He will next appear in court on May 16, 2024.

Freddie Wilkie
Freddie Wilkie
Freddie Wilkie is a journalist at the Wairarapa Times-Age; originally moving from Christchurch, he is interested in housing stories as well as covering emergencies and crime.

Related Articles

- Advertisement -
overcast clouds
9.5 ° C
11.1 °
9.5 °
78 %
96 %
10 °
13 °
16 °
18 °
12 °