A machine was cordoned off at the HG Group Ltd premises in Masterton on Thursday. PHOTO/EMMA BROWN

STAFF REPORTERS

The man electrocuted in a workplace accident in Waingawa, south of Masterton, on Thursday has died of his injuries.

Capital and Coast District Health Board said on Monday morning the man had died in the intensive care unit at Wellington Hospital.

No details of his name or age were available.

Emergency services were called to the Masterton-based equipment-hire business HG Group Ltd, in Norman Ave, shortly after 8.40am on Thursday.

It is understood the man was servicing cherry pickers and came into contact with overhead powerlines during testing.

A piece of cordoned off machinery, below power lines, could be seen from State Highway 2.

A spokesperson for Wellington Free Ambulance confirmed paramedics responded to the incident, and the man had suffered injuries from electrocution.

He was described as unresponsive and in a critical condition when they arrived.

He was resuscitated and taken to Wairarapa Hospital before being airlifted to Wellington Hospital by Life Flight.

A director of the HG Group Ltd declined to comment on Monday.

WorkSafe NZ confirmed its investigation was continuing but would not offer any details on what had happened.

Since 2010, there have been 10 workplace deaths in Wairarapa and 151 serious harm incidents reported to WorkSafe.

In November last year, a female worker died at Kiwi Lumber, also in Waingawa.

Last year Labour MP Kieran McAnulty posted on social media that HG Group was an impressive family-run business with a “wonderful attitude” to staff well-being and working conditions.