PHOTO/STOCK.ADOBE.COM

SUE TEODORO
sue.teodoro@age.co.nz

Bowing to public opinion, Masterton District Council has agreed to reduce the proposed increase in dog registration fees.

The council took on board opposition to the fee hike received in 24 submissions on the proposed increases — all but one of the submissions related to dogs.

Councillors voted in a meeting on Thursday to reduce the size of the hike.

The new fees are down by about $12 per dog on the increase proposed in the draft Long-Term Plan.

Initially, an rise of 26 per cent had been proposed, but it will now be about 16 per cent.

The fees cover 80 per cent of the animal services costs, with the remaining 20 per cent funded by rates.

The increase in fees reflected borrowing costs to replace the animal shelter, the level of work involved with impounded animals and inflationary adjustments that were not passed on last year when MDC chose not to increase dog registration fees as part of its covid-19 response.

Fees must be paid in full by July 31 to avoid penalties. MDC has a range of payment options available, including paying off registration fees in weekly payments.

The new fees for 2021/22, which are due by June 30, 2021, are:

Urban neutered – $95 [2020/21 $82]

Responsible owner [25 per cent discount] – $71 [$61.50]

Urban entire – $157 [$136]

Rural 1st dog [including working dog] – $95 [$82]

Rural 2nd dog and subsequent [including working dogs] – $25 [$22]

Breeder permit holder – $95 [$82]

Dangerous neutered – $143 [$126]

  • More information is at the MDC website www.mstn.govt.nz, alternatively dog owners can contact Animal Services on 06 370 6300 for more information.


×